Monday, July 5, 2010

In the aftermath….

Well as some of you might have seen I have not posted an entry for sometime now.

Well in the aftermath of the official Royal Enfield dealer disappearing, I have been a bit subdued about the whole Enfield thing. Sorry guys I am human after all. I was just bummed about the whole thing. I wrote a post about buy an officially imported bike and now I will have to resort to importing one if I decide to buy a “new” C5…

I confess I have since looked at the Triumph Bonneville T100 as an alternative. But please don’t subject me to a public stoning at mid day…it is after all a British bike. Although the Triumphs are more powerful I feel they lack the charm of an Enfield. The styling IMO is less stylish than that of an Enfield. Take the seats for instance. The split solo and pillion seat on the Enfield is just Classic (excuse the pun). I must tell you, I have this image in my mind of one particular Enfield I saw in the showroom last year. It is problem the one that I should get (if I can find it) as it has been branded in my memory. It sums up the bike and its heritage in one look. Here it is ….. what do you think?

Close up of the fuel tank

Shot of the bike in the background

Fuel tank on its own

Best seen in real life.

I have not been totally removed from Enfields over the past few months. I have a friend who has one. I was in his neighbourhood for business recently. He invited me around to his place to see if we could start it. He had not ridden it for awhile and thought it best to tick the engine over. Well we certainly tried to get it going but could not get it to run for more that a few seconds. Turns out there was a build up in the carb. Hopefully the next time I am there I can hear it running. Trying to start the bike made me long for one of my own. Even if it is to run to the shops and back on a Sunday.

So the quest is on again…..

Until next time….. cheers!

4 comments:

  1. I think it is a lovely looking motorcycle. Good to see the blog again, I had wondered how things were going. You make me feel lucky that I had a Royal Enfield dealership on the corner when I got the itch. I got my bike and, shortly after, he went out of business. Things were a bit lonely after that (and there was no chance of warranty work) so I turned to the Internet for companionship and found active groups out there enjoying the bikes and offering suggestions on how to fix any problems. My riding was solitary anyway, as I was using the motorcycle to commute to work. Hope things work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think that was the first reaction. What about my new 2 year warranty on my new C5 Enfield? Hence I thought I would now rather go for an older model with carb. There is a better chance that I will be able to work on it myself. Not sure about my skills with a fuel injection.

    Yeah I hope this will turn around soon. I am regularly checking the web for a deal. Anyone out there in South Africa that is selling an Endield for less than R20 000? Drop me a note if you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own both a C5 and a T100 (which I'm getting rid of). My riding is mostly in town, 55mph or less. For that nothing can beat the C5 for fun. On the other hand for long distance touring the smoother twin of the T100 makes a big difference, particularly at higher speeds. The T100 is taller than the C5. I'm 6' and cannot plant both feet on the ground on the T100.

    Regards
    Jorge
    http://myroyalenfields.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jorge,

    Thanks for the input. You just confirmed by suspicions.... I need both :-). I must admit that most of my traveling would be at the lower end. Out of the bikes that I have ridden the most memorable ride was my test ride of the C5. Hence the reason for this blog. By the way, you have a great blog. I often stop by to check your posts. I have enjoyed those detailing the Enfield's history.

    Great stuff....

    ReplyDelete